ELKINS — The jury deliberated for 90 minutes before finding an Elkins man guilty of 81 felony charges Friday in Randolph County Circuit Court....
« Back to Article
The trail is over, the jury has spoken. I can't imagine the judge found any jurors that didn't hear about this case in the two long years it's been trumpeted in this paper. I'm assuming she asked every prospective juror if they knew any of the details about the case. Was that asked? Or, did the judge ask them to disregard anything they knew? The short jury selection and trail could have easily been moved to one of the nearby circuit courts where the Intermountain circulation is low.
0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees |
Report Abuse »
Exactly, why would anyone question that? I know believing in ghosts is taboo for most and was used to try and discredit the girl and her friend, but I'm an adult and I still believe in ghosts. I myself have experienced a few things that I can't explain any other way than something supernatural (be it ghost or angel) may have intervened. I also remember my sister and her friends using Ouija Boards and playing "Light as a feather, stiff as a board" at sleepovers growing up (even doing it in her late teens).
To this day I talk to my beloved ones that have passed; I even ask them questions and for guidance. I do the same when I pray to God. Doesn't mean I expect an answer or that I'm crazy (though, I guess some would argue otherwise based solely on the statement I just made). What I'm trying to say is, if they believe in ghosts that doesn't mean a girl would lie about something this serious; that it's a natural next step.
Again, I'm not saying she lied or didn't. I don't know
Just a fact that came out in the trial and paper that I haven't seen yet is the fact that the victim stated that she and her friend (who also testified to this fact in court) talked to spirits and ghosts when she stayed at her friend's house overnight. Also that things flew around the room. Why would anyone question that!!!!
- There’s also been an exorbitant amount of Shifflett and Shifflett family praise/adamant no wrong doing and victim/victim allies’ evil ways. Stating opinion and possibilities as FACT. Making ugly, personal attacks… Statistically, that would mean “Big” has some kind of stack in all this. To be a complete outside party and say these things (personal info as well as the insults) of people he/she has never officially met is unlikely. One attacks in this manner, when they feel personally attacked. All this tells me is that “Big” is obviously a relative or a member of the defense team (and if he wasn’t, then maybe he should have been).
I didn’t play a part in this trial, and I certainly don’t claim to have the answers or to KNOW the truth. I just simply observed a few points that I wanted to share my OPINION on.
1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees |
Report Abuse »
Because, info concerning third parties to the actual abused are not admissible in court (resulting in your entire testimony to be stricken from the record); but you probably already know that… If that’s the case, there’s a point to be made there. The mother (though, entirely TOO LATE) FINALLY stood up for her child and put herself in danger (both legally and of social ridicule or retaliation). I’m sure we all feel that no amount of threatening or maybe even prier physical abuse would stop us from protecting our children (I know it wouldn’t stop me), but as we weren’t in the exact situation, again, we’re all just speculating.
- As for the grandma of the victim; that’s “vindictive” and has a “hatred” for her son… that could be interrupted 180 from what “Big” feels. For a mother to basically disown their child is a HUGE statement. It doesn’t have to mean that SHE is the vindictive one.
*part 5, cont'd above
- His “pig of an ex wife” (as “Big” so eloquently referred to her) was most likely threatened as well. Of course, I can’t say that for sure. But being that the victim was, it’s not a stretch to believe the mother was as well, when she confronted him. That’s when looking into his “colorful” background is relevant. From that, we know he’s absolutely capable of physically harming someone (note, I’m not saying his priers mean he’s capable of sexual abuse… but since we’re speculating in comments on a newspaper’s website, we could also assume that the accused did numerous other illegal acts that he wasn’t caught for. If you play the “possibilities game” or “statistics game” for the accuser to paint an ugly picture, the same can be done for the accused). You may ask, “If these things are true, why weren’t they brought up?”
*part 4, cont'd above
- Yes, there are absolutely falsely accused people. There are also terrified victims that do lie initially (out of fear and confusion with figuring out and dealing with the situation), then over time are able to better articulate what happened once they’ve had time to process the events in safety. I’m not saying that it’s FACT what happened here, but IF true she was threatened (which is a common tactic for molesters to stay in control), then it most likely would take time for a child to overcome the horrors and embarrassment of the ordeal to tell strangers what had happened.
*part 3, cont'd above
2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees |
Report Abuse »
- Sexual abuse DOES have to start somewhere; statistically in the family (for convenience and ease in controlling the abused). Most abusers have a "type", and perhaps that's what happened here... The victim reached an age/look that was appealing to him. Or, yes, maybe it did just take that long for him to act on his urges.
*part 2, cont'd above
There have been so many assumptions and opinions made in the comments as "facts" that I felt one more was needed. "Big" may argue that's all the trial was; and I can't refute that. The FACT of the matter is, ONLY the accused and the accusers know for sure; anything else said from anyone else is only speculation. I will also say that I don’t plan to comment further, as I will not succumb to bullying; which may be called cowardly, but as multiple personal attacks have been made concerning intellect and grammar (of which both sides are guilty of), I'll just keep moving forward.
*part 1, cont'd above
Yeah, right....contrary to liberal belief; most inmates are NOT innocent. Yet they ALL claim to be.
ALL pedophiles should be EXECUTED ASAP!
0 Agrees | 2 Disagrees |
Report Abuse »
Living in the house they ate living in now
God help those children!
Are you Elderly? I only ask because you have that old fashioned view like "She deserved it because of the way she was dressed" sorta vibe going on here.
"Lastly I don't lie...I don't have to. .. Funny you should bring that up." Why is that funny? have you been accused of that before?
Stay with me bigman don't get mad. Remember I just want to help you.
"I forgot you read 2 whole books" ROTFL
k you don't lie. were you mistaken about the lawyers then or now? oh it must have been a typo.
those asterisk were not from a bad word. Just saying
Lastly I don't lie...I don't have to. .. Funny you should bring that up.
0 Agrees | 3 Disagrees |
Report Abuse »
You are just so full of*****and hate I want to help you.
Then your kidlets can have that sleepover you are so eager for.
I forgot you read 2 whole books. Congrats on finishing them. This is pointless. I got my point across. Maybe one day you can understand it. What goes around comes around. And it will.
Besides, with all this factual "evidence" you have posted here I am sure you and yours' could get a team of crack lawyers and get him off right, surely you will put your $$ where your mouth is.
520 Railroad Ave. , Elkins, WV 26241 | 304-636-2121