The Upshur County Board of Education welcomed two new board members and a new superintendent during a statutory/special session Tuesday at Buckhannon Academy Elementary School.
Judge Thomas Keadle, 26th District Circuit Judge, administered the oath of office to Alan Suder and Keith Nichols as board members and to Scott M. Lampinen as superintendent of Upshur County Schools.
The board elected its new president for a two-year term, expiring June 30, 2010. A motion was made by Pat Long and seconded by Keith Nichols to elect current president Lance Koury to continue in that position.
(CU and The Inter-Mountain/Gary Mallonee)
BOARD MEMBER —Thomas Keadle, the 26th District Circuit Court judge, administers the oath of office to Keith Nichols who was elected to the Board of Education during the May Primary.
The board also elected the vice president for a two-year term ending June 30, 2010. With a motion from Koury and a second by Suder, the board elected current vice president Pat Long to continue in his role.
The board also appointed Koury to serve on the RESA VII board of directors, Long to serve on the Fred Eberle Technical Center Administrative Council and Nichols to serve on the Committee of Legislation.
In other business, the board:
- Approved the meeting schedule for 2008-2009.
- Approved membership in the West Virginia School Board Association.
- Approved the following resignations: Alisa F. Lemley from her position as senior class adviser at Buckhannon-Upshur High School; Rebecca L. Nesbitt from her position as assistant senior class adviser at B-UHS; Nickol Reynolds from her position as sophomore class adviser at B-UHS; Sondra L. Shaw from her position as SAT team leader at Union Elementary; Sherri K. Hoover from her position as SAT team leader at Buckhannon-Upshur Intermediate School; William V. Wells from his position as assistant boy's track coach at B-UHS; April L. Ramsey from her position as student council adviser at B-UHS; and Jessica A. Renne as assistant volleyball coach at B-UHS.
- Approved the following employment: Cathy Klingensmith as assistant girl's soccer coach at Buckhannon-Upshur Middle School.
- Renewed an affiliation agreement with West Virginia University's Institute of Technology, Department of Nursing for the 2008-2009 school year.
The next board meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. July 22 at the board office.