Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

There is a place in your county to recycle nearly anything

April 17, 2010
Staff Report

The saying, "One person's trash is another's treasure," is very true when the items can be recycled. Throughout the region, recyclables like metal can be gathered and turned in for cold, hard cash.

Randolph County

Elkins Metal Recycling accepts several different types of metals and other products to be recycled. The center will pay for all materials brought in to be recycled with rates varying on each item(s).

Article Photos

The business accepts non-ferrous metals including: aluminum products such as cans, siding, clip, cast and sheet; No. 1, No. 2 and insulated copper; brass; lead; auto radiators; heater cores; dirty radiators; non-magnetic stainless; auto batteries and industrial batteries; and full catalytic converters.

Ferrous items accepted include appliances and sheet metal, whole cars, wheel rims, mixed scrap, whole gas motor blocks, transmissions and unprepared structural metal.

Services offered by Elkins Metal Recycling include: a rollback for automobile removal, demolition, Mine Safety and Health Administration-certified torch operators and equipment operators, onsite cutting of large items and scrap containers for facility available to pick up vehicles.

Elkins Metal Recycling is open Mondays through Fridays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays until noon until Memorial Day. For more information, visit

Recycling throughout the rest of Randolph County, the Randolph County Solid Waste Authority, the Randolph County Recycling Center, Tygart Valley Sanitation, The Center for Sustainability Studies of Davis & Elkins College and the Tygart Valley Outdoor Youth Club have the recycling business taken care of.

Aluminum, steel, tin, magazines, newspaper, office paper, cardboard and plastics No. 1 and 2 (without lids) are collected at the Randolph County Recycle Center in the industrial park, on the campus of Davis & Elkins College and at Tygart Valley Sanitation.

For more information on Randolph County recycling, call Steve Kerns of the Randolph County Solid Waste Authority at 304-642-6968 or Tygart Valley Sanitation at 304-338-2003 or 304-338-2021.

Barbour County

Barbour County Recycling Center/Barbour County Solid Waste Authority, located off the intersection U.S. 250 and Midway Road, is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The facility accepts several different items for recycling including: aluminum and bi-metal cans, newsprint, magazines, slicks, office and computer paper, junk mail, cardboard and up to three gallons of motor oil per visit. All labels and caps should be removed from cans.

"We like the material to be sorted but we will sort it if needed," Barbour County Solid Waste Authority employee Travis Delauder said. "After hours, we have bins outside the center that people can place the material in."

According to Delauder, the BCSWA also provides containers for cardboard at several businesses throughout Barbour County.

Stewart's Sanitation offers curbside pick up for recyclable materials. Employee Connie Stewart said customers must bag the material separately and set it out for their regular garbage pick up.

Stewart's Sanitation will accept aluminum, plastics No. 1 and No. 2, newsprint, large appliances, office and computer paper and junk mail. For more information, call 304-823-2558.

L&M Salvage in Barbour County, located on the Midway Road, accepts metal products including old appliances, iron and automobiles. All materials must be taken to the center. For more information, call 304-457-1806.

The city of Philippi offers cardboard and aluminum can recycling to residents. The material must be dropped off at the Philippi Recycling Center at 323 Chesnut St. All paper must be removed from the cans and cardboard before it is placed in the proper bins.

Lewis County

Lewis County features six recycling collection sites scattered throughout the county, and one company even offers a curbside service for its customers.

For those who want to recycle normal household items such as glass, paper and plastic bottles, collection bins are set up across from the Jane Lew Fire Department and the Weston Municipal Building. Those sites can handle cans (aluminum, aerosol, steel and bimetal), plastic milk jugs and soda pop bottles, and newspapers and magazines. Those collection areas are available during the daylight hours.

Weston Transfer can also pick those items up as part of a curbside residential service. Call Larry or Margie Brown at 304-269-2776 to make arrangements. Newspapers, steel and aluminum cans, and plastic and mixed-plastic containers can be picked up.

Tires, construction debris and demolition materials can be dropped off at Tire & Rubber Inc., 710 Grass Run Road, Weston, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Call Randall Zortman at 304-269-0091 for details.

Jerry's Salvage on the Georgetown Road takes aluminum cans, cast and sheet aluminum, copper, brass, car bodies and appliances. The center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Call Amy at 304-269-3594 for further information.

For those who want to rid themselves of motor oil, a collection site can be found at the Weston Transfer garage on Route 19 north. There is a 3-gallon limit, and the site is not for commercial customers. It is open from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, and further information can be obtained by calling Keith Brown at 304-884-8077 or 304-884-8072.

Upshur County

In Upshur County, recycling is easy. The Crossroads Recycling Center located next to the Buckhannon Wal-Mart operated by the Buckhannon Solid Waste Authority makes it convenient to recycle.

Several recycling containers are onsite that are clearly marked for each item. Items that can be recycled are clear milk jugs, plastic soda bottles, No. 2 plastic, mixed office paper, steel, bi-metal and aerosol cans, newspapers and inserts, magazines and corrugated cardboard.

Crossroads has easy access and parking near the containers. The center is open 24 hours a day.

Another recycling location in Upshur County is the City of Buckhannon and Upshur County Solid Waste Authority Recycling Center. The center is located on the Mud Lick Road and is open Mondays through Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Items accepted at the center include, aluminum, aerosol, steel and bi-metal cans, plastic milk jugs and soda pop bottles, newspapers, magazines, catalogs, corrugated cardboard, office paper, junk mail, appliances and used motor oil.

For more information about either Crossroads or the Solid Waste Authority recycling centers, call 304-472-8949 or 304-472-4443.

The city of Buckhannon also has curbside recycling pick up with in the city limits. The pick-up service is on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Items collected include steel, aluminum, bi-metal and aerosol cans, plastic milk jugs and soda pop bottles, newspapers, magazines, catalogs, office paper and junk mail.

Part of Upshur County is served by Weston Transfer Inc. for solid waste removal. Weston Transfer offers a recycle pick up once a month and items include newspapers and inserts, steel and aluminum cans, plastics and mixed-colored plastics.

For more information, call 304-269-5455 or log on to

Pocahontas County

Three locations in Pocahontas County accept a variety of recyclables. For commercial recycling, there is Pocahontas Recycling located on Airport Road in Marlinton. Pocahontas Recycling is open Fridays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Pocahontas Recycling accepts ferrous and non-ferrous metals, insulated wire, plastic strapping, plastic (No. 1 and No. 2), cardboard, newsprint, all grades of office paper, bi-metal cans, magazines, books and clear, brown and green glass.

Recycling at this location is also available by appointment by calling 304-799-4083.

For community recycling, the Pocahontas County Solid Waste Authority is the place. With offices located on Tenth Avenue in Marlinton, the PCSWA accepts recycling at its five locations from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays during the summer months and from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. during the winter months.

At locations in Green Bank (beside the West Virginia Depart of Highways office), the old fairgrounds in Marlinton, Huntersville and Caesar Mountain residents can drop off bi-metal cans, plastics No. 1 and No. 2, newsprint, cardboard, office paper and magazines. Residents can also drop off all of these materials - except cans - in Bartow at the old drive-in theater.

For more information on these locations, call the Pocahontas Solid Waste Authority at 304-799-6262.

Large items, such as appliances and used tires, will need to be dropped off at the Pocahontas County Landfill on Route 28 near the high school. Drop off hours are from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Saturdays.

For more information, call 304-799-4199.

Tucker County

Three locations in Tucker County - the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Parsons and Thomas - accept recyclables 24 hours a day.

The bins in Parsons are located beside the Shop 'n' Save, and behind the Citizen's National Bank ATM. In Thomas and Canaan, residents can drop off near the post office on Route 32 and outside the CVNWR Visitor's Center. Accepted materials include cardboard, newsprint, office paper, and steel and aluminum cans.

For more information call Sunrise Sanitation Services Inc. at 301-334-6212. Pick up for businesses is available by calling the office or e-mailing Sunrise Sanitation at



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web