Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Investigators sort through the aftermath

Officials release names of two injured marshals

February 18, 2011

The U.S. Marshals Service has released the names of the two deputy marshals injured in the exchange of gunfire Wednesday morning while attempting to execute search and arrest warrants at 319 Central St. in Elkins.

Federal officials remained on scene Thursday gathering evidence in the aftermath of Wednesday's shooting that claimed the lives of U.S. Deputy Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller and a wanted fugitive, 50-year-old Charles Smith, and injured two others, Supervisory U.S. Deputy Marshal Alex Neville and U.S. Deputy Marshal Wesley Fred Frederick.

Neville, 42, was taken to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown where he underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. Neville has been with the U.S. Marshals Service for 19 years.

Article Video

Photographs from the scene of the Central Street Shooting that claimed the life of a Deputy U.S. Mar

Frederick, 33, was treated and released from Davis Memorial Hospital on Wednesday. He has been with the U.S. Marshals Service for 14 months.

A team of U.S. marshals and West Virginia State Police faced gunfire from Smith as they entered his residence Wednesday attempting to serve search and arrest warrants. Hotsinpiller was fatally wounded from a shotgun blast in an exchange of gunfire with Smith.

Smith had evaded capture for four years. A warrant for his arrest was issued on Aug. 16, 2006, after a federal indictment charged him with possession with intent to distribute "crack" cocaine, and with being an unlawful drug user in possession of firearms. Officials began closing in his whereabouts last year and were able to locate him through the use of several sources.

Article Photos

COVERING ALL ANGLES — The investigation into the shooting death of U.S. Deputy Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller continued on Thursday at 319 Central St. in Elkins. Hotsinpiller was fatally wounded when Charles Smith opened fire on law enforcement as they tried to serve arrest and search warrants at his home on Wednesday. Two additional deputy marshals suffered injuries. Smith was killed in return fire from the officers. (CU and The Inter-Mountain/Grant Jones) ç The Inter-Mountain, all rights reserved.

Members of the FBI, ATF and U.S. Marshals Service remained on scene throughout the day Thursday processing the scene.

FBI Supervisory Senior Resident Agent with the Northern District of West Virginia John Hambrick said several agencies are assisting in the investigation.

"We are continuing the process," he said. "There are several agencies involved in the investigation. We have tremendous resources in support."

Including the agencies on scene, Hambrick said the U.S. Postal Service is also helping conduct interviews and collect evidence.

"Resources are not an issue," he said. "Everyone is pitching in to help. The community has stepped up and been very warm and receptive."

"It's a marathon," Hambrick said in describing the meticulous work of processing the scene. He said the teams are working to gather everything as evidence. Several white boxes were carried from Smith's residence on Thursday and officials could be seen carrying brown paper bags and taking photographs of the exterior of the home and the porch.

"Once we release the crime scene, we will work in concert with the U.S. Attorney's office," he said.

Copyright The Inter-Mountain, all rights reserved,



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web