The perfect place for weddings, teas, school tours, meetings and bus tours is Adaland Mansion in Philippi. The home was built in 1870, and has been restored, featuring homemade brick and walnut woodwork throughout.
The original owner, Augustus Modisett, constructed the house using emancipated slaves and local carpenters.
The house was purchased by 1920 by Judge Ira Robinson and renamed "Adaland" in honor of his wife, Ada Sinsel. The mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at the end of a long winding road located three miles northwest of Philippi.
The Adaland Mansion was opened to the public in 1999. Since that time, many visitors have toured the facility. The Adaland barn has been restored and is being developed as a state agritourism site. Here visitors learn about plants, crops and farm tools dating back to the 1800s.
Information about Adaland is available by calling Sharon Harsh, executive director at 304-823-2456, or online at www.adaland.org.