Fire broke out in two Barbour County homes between Thursday night and Friday morning, damaging one home and leaving another in ruins.
Philippi fire chief John Green said the first call came in at about 11:03 p.m. Thursday night, reporting that a trailer on Olive Hill had caught on fire. No injuries resulted in the fire, and no one was home at the time. Green said Philippi Volunteer Fire Department officials were on scene by 11:15 p.m., and the fire had already burned through the structure's roof.
"It'd been on fire for a while before anyone noticed it," Green said.
The structure was home to Junie Mayle of Philippi. Mayle had just recently built an additional room on the trailer and had purchased a generator that was destroyed in the fire while it still was in its shipping crate.
Mayle also owned a camper that was near the structure, but officials were able to put out the fire before it also claimed the vehicle. Green said Mayle told him he would be using the camper as a residence in the aftermath of the fire. Green estimated the damages incurred by the fire to be about $8,000. The owner did not have insurance on the home, Green said.
The Philippi Volunteer Fire Department responded with the help of the Belington Fire Department, Barbour County Emergency Medical Service and the Barbour County Sheriff's Department.
Green said the second fire occurred about an hour later in Union along County Route 30. The residence is owned by Tommy Phillips, but Darleen Welch is reportedly the resident at that address. The Philippi Volunteer Fire Department, Belington Volunteer Fire Department and the Barbour County Emergency Medical Service responded to the fire.
The second home was saved before the fire destroyed it. Green said the fire burned through the roof in one part of the home, but did not destroy the entire structure. He estimates the damages to be about $7,000.