Anyone planning to go to college knows they should complete the free application for Federal Student Aid, also known as the FAFSA. But for many, filling out a government form can be downright daunting.
Fortunately, area residents can get free help filling out and submitting the FAFSA during College Goal Sunday at Davis & Elkins College on Feb. 10 anytime between 1 to 4 p.m. in the Eshleman Science Center.
Students who plan to attend a two-year or four-year college in the next 12 months can attend the College Goal Sunday workshop. It is open to everyone, regardless of age or income. High school seniors, current college students, and adults who want to go to college can attend.
Experts will be available to assist students and families during the event. Students who attend will be entered to win an Apple iPad and other items donated by community supporters.
In order to complete the FAFSA at a College Goal Sunday workshop, attendees must bring several documents, including current federal tax records.
If current tax records are not available, please bring the previous year's records. Please note, you will have to edit your FAFSA again later if using information from the previous year.
Supporting materials include:
- Student's driver's license
- Student's Social Security number
- Parents' (or guardians') Social Security number
- Current tax records, including W-2 forms and filed tax returns for student, parents/guardians and spouse (if you are married)
- Student's current untaxed income records, including child support, worker's compensation and untaxed portions of pensions and any other untaxed income
- Information about investments and bank account balances
- Student's alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
Local financial aid professionals will be on hand to offer free one-on-one, confidential support.
The volunteers at College Goal Sunday workshops will not share or misuse your personal information.
Your FAFSA will be submitted through a network secured by the federal government.
College Goal Sunday is coordinated by the College Foundation of West Virginia with funding and support from the Lumina Foundation for Education and USA Funds, the West Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators, GEAR UP and TRiO.
For more information, contact D&E Site Coordinator, Carol Suder-Howes, Director of the Davis & Elkins College Upward Bound program, (304) 637-1989 or email@example.com.
For complete details, including directions and a list of what to bring, visit www.cfwv.com.
For more information, please visit the college website at www.dewv.edu or call 304-637-1243.