PHILIPPI - Philip Barbour High School was put on lockdown Thursday after school officials learned about a threat, officials said.
However, the threat warned of something that would have already occurred by the time the threat was found, Barbour County Superintendent of Schools Joe Super said.
When asked about the nature of the threat, Super declined to provide details to The Inter-Mountain.
"We wanted to address it, but it was found after the event was supposed to happen," Super said. "This is a precautionary thing (that we) went into a lockdown."
Super said the school was placed on lockdown sometime in the afternoon. The lockdown was lifted by the time buses were ready to transport students home as normal, he said.
Barbour County schools had already experienced three bomb threats this school year. A bomb threat on Sept. 4 caused Philip Barbour High School to be put on lockdown. A separate threat on Sept. 24 - one which was not officially identified as a bomb threat - prompted the evacuation of students at PBHS. The threats are not believed to be related.
A juvenile male Philippi Middle School student was charged with terroristic threats following a bomb threat at the school on Oct. 8, officials said.