ARLINGTON, Va. A Belington native who distinguished himself with his lifelong service to his country was laid to rest May 14 in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.
Brigadier General Henry Glenn Watson, 83, departed this life Feb. 13 at the West Virginia Veterans Nursing Facility in Clarksburg.
Watson was born Aug. 9, 1930 in Cookville, Ten., the son of the late James A. and Lennie Ethel (Howard) Watson. On April 21, 1952, he was married to Barbara Jean Thompson, who survives at their home in Belington.
Brigadier General Henry Glenn Watson was laid to rest May 14 in Arlington, Va.
Also surviving are his two granddaughters, Glenda Lewis and husband Mark, and Beverly Watson.
Mr. Watson graduated from South High School and went on to receive a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Akron University before leaving to serve our country in the United States Army in May of 1955. He retired in July 1984 with an Honorable Discharge as a Brigadier General.
Watson was highly decorated with honors that include: Legion of Merit/1st Oak Leaf Cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross "1", Bronze Star Medal W/ "V" 3rd Oak Leaf Cluster, Meritorious Service Medal W/1st Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal W/7th Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Commendation Medal W/5th Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart, Meritorious Unit Citation, Army Occupation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal W/2nd Oak Leaf Cluster, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon "1", Vietnam Campaign Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, Expert Infantryman Badge, Parachute Badge and a General Staff Identification Badge.
Mike Talbott and personnel from the Talbott Funeral Home in Belington accompanied Watson's flag-draped casket to Arlington, where full military rites were conducted, including a horse-drawn caisson which carried Mr. Watson to his final resting place. There he was afforded a Gun and Cannon salute.
Soldiers from the 3rd United States Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) assisted in laying to rest Brigadier General Henry Glenn Watson. He was affectionately known as the "Father of the Fife and Drum Corps." Brigadier General Watson, then First Lieutenant Watson, was the Corps' first Platoon Leader and Officer in Charge.